Performs eye examinations and vision tests to determine the presence of visual, ocular and other abnormalities, and prescribes lenses, other optical aids or therapy.
- examines patients' eyes and sets visual tests to determine the nature and extent of vision problems and abnormalities
- prescribes and may dispense lenses, contact lenses and low vision aids and check suitability and comfort
- detects, diagnoses and manages eye disease and refers patients to, and receives referrals from other health providers
- provides advice on visual issues such as contact lens care, vision-care of the elderly, optics, visual ergonomics, occupational and industrial eye safety and research
- may dispense lenses, contact lenses and low vision aids
- may advise patients on eye exercises to correct defective eye muscles and on lighting and visual habits